Corporation Counsel - Law Department
up to $45,000.00 commensurate with experience
Distinguishing Features Of The Class:
The duties of this class are highly professional in nature consisting of assisting the Corporation Counsel in rendering legal counsel
to the Mayor and to the City Council. The work calls for a great deal of legal expertise as well as
independent judgment and discretion and is under the general supervision of the Corporation
Counsel. The incumbent may give direct supervision to the Research Aide and clerical staff of
the Department if needed. Does related work as required.
Possession of a law degree from a regionally accredited law school and
(a) Admission to the Bar in New York State or,
(b) Admission to the Bar in New York State within one year from the time of appointment.
PUBLIC SERVICE LOAN FORGIVENESS: College graduates with student loans may be eligible to have part of their loan paid for after being employed in a full-time position at City of Binghamton. Additional information is available at https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/sites/default/files/public-service-loan-for...
Typical Work Activities:
- Acts as legal interpreter for the City Council in regard to City code, charter and ordinances;
- Prepares resolutions, ordinances and local laws for final drafting and approval;
- Provides legal counsel for the City of Binghamton in labor relations matters, civil service proceedings, personnel, human rights and EEOC matters and workers compensation;
- Represents the City of Binghamton as defendant in claims and suits regarding unemployment insurance, water and sewer bills, any damage claims not covered by insurance;
- Represents City in it’s prosecution of City code violations and as plaintiff in collection and small claims procedures; may be appointed to serve as a hearing officer for a variety of issues, including condemnation, billing disputes and union matters.