City of Binghamton, New York

Do we need a certificate of compliance in order to live in our apartment?

No. However, periodic inspection of residential rental property is required under the Code of Ordinances, §265-6. "Registration of rental housing units" A tenant or prospective tenant may request a Life Safety and Property Maintenance inspection to determine whether existing conditions within a residential occupancy are in general conformance with applicable codes. Request inspection by calling the Supervisor of Code Enforcement, (607) 772-7004.

Code Enforcement