This position involves responsibility for tasks requiring a high degree of accuracy in performance of a variety of data entry and clerical tasks. Incumbents usually work under general supervision on routine assignments in accordance with defined procedures. Detailed instructions are provided for new or unusual assignments. The activities of employees in this class require knowledge of commonly-used concepts, practices and procedures within the accounting field. Work is performed under the direct supervision of immediate supervisor. Does related work as required.
Performs all activities listed below within Finance, Information Management & Technology, Assessment, Treasurer and Purchasing departments as needed.
- Reviews financial source documents for accuracy / completeness prior to data entry.
- Performs data entry from a wide variety of source documents including, but not limited to claims for payment, purchase orders, journal entries, invoicing, budget requests, payroll time sheets, deduction requests, and various data collection forms into enterprise software database(s).
- Visually compares edit sheets with source documents to identify and correct errors.
- Works on special projects including implementation of software by performing data collection and input of information from a wide variety of sources.
- Assists in training end users on appropriate data entry procedures for a variety of software modules.
- Provide support for a variety of end users doing data entry
- Generates financial reports/notices/billings pursuant to specifications
- Use of desktop software including, but not limited to word processing, spreadsheets, and databases.
- Receiving and distribution of City equipment and supplies
- Physically moves materials and supplies in and out of the storeroom
- Assists in maintaining inventory of City equipment and supplies
- Operates a variety of office machines including copier, scanner, printer, folding machine and postage machine.
- Answers telephone, makes appointments and provides routine information.
- Performs office tasks /data entry / filing
- Waits on customers and processes payments
Full Performance Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Personal Characteristics:
- Working knowledge of office terminology, procedure and equipment; good knowledge of commonly-used concepts , practices and procedures within the accounting field;
- working knowledge of the practices of data entry operation;
- ability to operate a data entry device at an acceptable rate of speed and accuracy;
- ability to operate a personal computer and utilize common desktop software including word processing, spreadsheet and database at an acceptable rate of accuracy and speed;
- ability to follow written and oral instructions
- ability to work independently;
- ability to get along well with others;
- tact and courtesy;
- physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position
- Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma and 2 years of full time clerical experience primarily involving data entry on a personal computer and the maintenance of financial accounts and records; or:
- Graduation from a New York State registered or regionally accredited 2 (two) year college or university with an Associate’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration.
This is routine work in the performance of a variety of unskilled tasks in the maintenance of buildings, grounds as well as in repair and maintenance of water and sewer systems and related public works activities. Incumbents of this position work under the direct supervision of skilled Motor Equipment Operators, supervisors or journey level crafts persons. Depending upon work assignments, incumbents may develop knowledge and skills necessary for the performance of higher level work assignments. The Laborer may be considered as a trainee position for positions such as Carpenter’s Helper, Parks Maintainer and Motor Equipment Operator.
Performs a variety of unskilled work such as collecting and disposing of garbage and trash, shoveling and removal of snow from streets, raking, tamping and shoveling cold patch, cleaning and flushing streets, culverts and catch basins and the digging and refilling of trenches for water and sewer pipelines; Learns to and operates air compressors, jack hammers, concrete mixers and pumps; Works with Water Maintainers in tapping water mains and in the repair and maintenance of the water distribution system; Works with the Pump Station Operators in the repair, replacement and maintenance of pumps and pumping equipment; Works with Building Maintenance Mechanics or skilled trades persons in repairing heating and air conditioning machinery, repairing toilets and sinks, painting apartments and in electrical rewiring activities.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES & PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
Willingness to perform unskilled manual work; willingness to work under all weather conditions; ability and willingness to develop a broad range of skills in public works activities including the operation of motor vehicles and power equipment; ability to understand and carry out simple oral and written instructions; dependability; Ability to operate a personal computer and utilize common office software programs including word processing, spreadsheet, and database at an acceptable rate of accuracy and speed; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT: CDLB must be obtained within the employee’s probationary period and maintain the license during the entire length of appointment.
This position involves the performance of beginning level professional civil engineering work. The work is primarily concerned with the design of civil engineering projects for the Public Works Department or in preparing specifications for private contractors. The incumbent also facilitates the implementation of special City projects such as a sidewalk rebate program. The work is performed under the general supervision of a senior level Engineer with wide leeway in exercising judgment in when and how work assignments will be completed. Supervision is exercised over a small number of sub-professional and technical employees. Does related work as required.
Supervises the design, drafting and standard detailing work in the planning, designing and inspection of street construction and public building renovation work: Upon request, assists public officials in the planning and design of public construction or reconstruction projects including feasibility studies and alternative action; Designs plans for the construction or repair of facilities and systems such as street curbs, sidewalks, sewer and water lines, culverts, bridges, Parks and Recreation buildings and fire houses; Designs, develops sketches and specifications for construction contracts for various City projects in Parks and Recreation, Water, Sewer, Maintenance and Streets: Inspects, reviews and investigates specified engineering problems and complaints during the construction or extension of water or sewer distribution systems; Supervises construction and assists Construction Inspectors on the more difficult or complex engineering problems; Assists in planning and policy formulation for future public construction projects.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, ABILITIES & PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS: Good knowledge of the principles and practices of civil engineering; good knowledge of the principles of physics and mathematics as they apply to civil engineering; skill in the use of engineering field and office instruments; ability to compile engineering data and to make moderately difficult technical computations; ability to express engineering concepts in drawing, designs, and written specifications; ability to supervise and inspect the work of others engaged in engineering projects; accuracy; good judgment; ability to operate a personal computer and utilize common office software programs including word processing, spreadsheet, and database at an acceptable rate of accuracy and speed; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
(a) Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered four year college or university with a Bachelor's Degree in civil engineering; or
(b) Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered two year college with an Associate's Degree in engineering, architecture or related technologies and four years of technical engineering experience; or
(c) Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma and six years of technical civil engineering experience; or
(d) An equivalent combination of training and experience within the limits of (a), (b), and (c).
A person in this position must exercise considerable vigilance in directing traffic for the protection of children going to and from school. Work is performed independently with only occasional directions from a superior
Directs traffic at crosswalks near school; Assists children crossing streets; Slows down traffic in school zone; Instructs younger children concerning proper place and precautions to be taken when crossing street.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES & PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
Ability to be firm yet courteous with the public; ability to get along well with children; Ability to operate a personal computer and utilize common office software programs including word processing, spreadsheet, and database at an acceptable rate of accuracy and speed; Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
Civil Service Examinations
|Title||Exam Type||Exam Posting|
|Assistant Corporation Counsel||Open Competitive||Download|
|Clerk - City School District||Open Competitive||Download|
|Typist - City School District||Open Competitive||Download|
|Account Clerk Typist - WasteWater Treatment Plant||Open Competitive||Download|
|Account Clerk Typist - City School District||Open Competitive||Download|
|Senior Typist - City School District||Open Competitive||Download|