This position is responsible for the supervision of City Clerk’s Office. Issues licenses for marriages, electricians, plumbers and peddlers and maintains all permanent records. Functions as Acting Deputy City Clerk when both the City Clerk and Deputy City Clerk are unavailable.
Responsible for supervision of subordinate staff; Performs all responsibilities of licensing clerk and in addition issues licenses for marriages, electricians, plumbers and peddlers and maintains all permanent records; Assists the City Clerk and Deputy City Clerk in matters related to administration, budget and office procedures; Responsible for the implementation and maintenance of computer programs; Assists special committees of City Council in maintaining records, preparing agendas and gathering data essential to committee deliberations; Types correspondence, memoranda and statements pertinent to the operation of the office; Responsible for posting daily revenues and balancing month end reports; Provides information to the public and other departments and agencies on City policies, procedures and programs; Receives information and complaints, and coordinates the follow up and resolution of the problems; Responsible for filing all City laws with the Secretary of State; Types and files all judgments and torts against the City presented to the City Clerk with the Corporation Counsel Office.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, ABILITIES & PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS: Good knowledge of licensing regulations, requirements and procedures for each type of license issued; good knowledge of office terminology, procedure and equipment; skill in typing at a predetermined rate of speed; ability to accurately conduct monetary transactions; ability to convey information to interested parties; ability to supervise subordinate staff; clerical aptitude; ability to operate a personal computer and utilize common office software programs including word processing, spreadsheet, and database at an acceptable rate of accuracy and speed; physical condition as necessary to perform the essential function of the position.
- Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma and two years clerical experience including account keeping.
Payroll Assistant prepares and processes payroll transactions and related documents, answering standard payroll related questions, and provide customer service to City employees by applying policies, rules and regulations issued by the City of Binghamton, Department of Civil Service and the City’s budget. Incumbents are engaged in tasks which requires compliance with detail procedures, the use of multiple software programs, and strict adherence to deadlines to ensure accurate payroll submissions to payroll supervisor. Accuracy is vital in reporting documents to NYS retirement system; as well as to the City’s Health Insurance Carrier. Performs related duties as required. This position reports to the Comptroller.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES:
- Assist in the processing of payroll for all City departments;
- Review payrolls for completeness, process in appropriate computer systems payroll documents, such as direct deposits, tax forms, health insurance, and retirement;
- Review personnel information/transactions submitted to the payroll office by other departments by ensuring that position and employee information is complete and data is consistently entered in all relevant computer systems. Data entry, update, or change information in payroll system as necessary and prescribed in City’s policies.
- Assist in the calculation and processing of salary increases and longevity payments;
- Assist in end of year payroll process including necessary adjustments to end of year W-2 wage file;
- Assist in the reconciliation of payroll each pay period to source documents;
- Enter and process retirement system reporting, ensuring proper employee crediting and payment;
- Builds working relationships with internal contacts and administrative staff as well as external contacts (government agencies, retirement system providers, financial institutions);
- Filing of payroll files;
- Enter data into City’s computerized database of health benefit information and enrollment for employees and audits bills from vendors;
- Create and send out retiree health insurance bills;
- Assist in preparing billing and reconciles health insurance payments;
- Assist in preparing annual salaries for annual budget process;
- Assist in preparing annual benefit packets for employees.
- Processes payroll through Enterprise System in Supervisor absence along with at least one a month to stay current with processing
- Assist in processing salary changes, deduction changes, and new hires
- Complete income verifications for NYS and banks
- Complete and file health insurance forms and entry into Carrier’s data base
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
Knowledge of payroll and benefit processing techniques; Knowledge of the principles and procedures used in accounting and bookkeeping; Good knowledge of computer software applications; Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; Ability to formulate logical decisions; Ability to meet stringent deadlines; Skill in mathematical computations; Interpersonal skill in relation to internal and external contacts; Self-motivated, and dependable
Graduation from a New York State registered or regionally accredited college or university with an Associate’s degree in Accounting or Business and 2 years of experience maintaining financial accounts and records and/or payroll records: OR
Graduation from high school or possession of an equivalency diploma and 4 years of experience maintaining financial accounts and records, and/or 4 years handling payroll records.
This is a position involving the operation of a variety of motor equipment. The type of equipment operated will be limited by the class of license possessed by the incumbent. The work is performed under the general supervision of a supervisory level employee. The incumbent will exercise supervision over subordinates assigned to work on specific projects. Does related work as required.
The City of Binghamton is looking to hire Temporary MEO’s to help with snow removal. This position would be an on-call position.
Possession of a CDL-B motor vehicle operator license issued by the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles at time of appointment which must be maintained during the entire length of appointment.
This is skilled work in repairing and maintaining a variety of automotive and related types of equipment. The scope of tasks ranges from the repair and rebuilding of gasoline and diesel engines to the repair of truck and car bodies to specialized public works apparatus. The incumbent works independently on assignments from higher level department employees or officers, but usually from work orders or defective equipment as reported by equipment operators. The incumbent may be assigned senior supervisory or lead roles over other Mechanics, Attendants and Laborers in a satellite or split shift operation. Does related work as required.
Performs skilled tasks in rebuilding and repairing gasoline and diesel powered equipment, including cars, trucks, sweepers, rollers and specialized mechanical equipment such as bulldozers, graders, backhoes, salters and air compressors; Removes, repairs or replaces clutches, rear ends, brakes, exhausts, shock absorbers, manual transmissions, cooling systems and ignition systems; Assists in and repairs miscellaneous equipment and facilities including bridges; Inspects motor equipment to establish compliance with minimum safety standards for operating equipment; Makes repairs on equipment in the field and operates equipment in test runs and/or in returning defective equipment to the central garage; Repairs various equipment including hydraulic and electrical systems; Tunes, adjusts and where necessary, completely overhauls gasoline and diesel engines; Assists with or independently repairs body work, including the use of welding tools.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES & PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS: Good knowledge of standard automotive repair methods on both gasoline and diesel engines along with the terminology and tools of the trade; good knowledge in the repair of trucks, cars and other specialized mechanical equipment and apparatus such as hydraulic systems, aerial ladders and signaling equipment; working knowledge in the machinist trades used in structuring and welding automotive parts; ability to analyze mechanical and operating problems from test runs and motor Equipment Operators’ written and oral reports; skill in repairing, removing and replacing parts of motors such as ignition, exhaust, electrical and hydraulic systems; willingness to assume leadership responsibility in performing more difficult work; willingness to train subordinates in new or higher level skills; Ability to operate a personal computer and utilize common office software programs including word processing, spreadsheet, and database at an acceptable rate of accuracy and speed; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
- Five years of experience in the repair of a variety of automotive equipment, including the rebuilding of gasoline and diesel engines; or
- Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State recognized two year college with an Associate’s Degree in automotive mechanics and three years of experience described in (a); or
- An equivalent combination of training and experience within the limits defined in (a) and (b).
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS FOR ACCEPTANCE OF APPLICATIONS:
- Eligibility for a New York State Inspector’s Certificate and possession at time of appointment and maintain the certificate during the entire length of appointment;
- Eligibility for CDL-B Driver’s License whenever the work requires the operation of heavy motor equipment, which must be obtained within six (6) months after employment and maintain the license during the entire length of appointment.
A person in this position must exercise considerable vigilance in directing traffic for the protection of children going to and from school. Work is performed independently with only occasional directions from a superior.
Directs traffic at crosswalks near school; Assists children crossing streets; Slows down traffic in school zone; Instructs younger children concerning proper place and precautions to be taken when crossing street.
Full Performance Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, & Personal Characteristics:
Ability to be firm yet courteous with the public; ability to get along well with children; Ability to operate a personal computer and utilize common office software programs including word processing, spreadsheet, and database at an acceptable rate of accuracy and speed; Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.