This position involves responsibility for tasks requiring a high degree of accuracy in performance of a variety of data entry and clerical tasks. Incumbents usually work under general supervision on routine assignments in accordance with defined procedures. Detailed instructions are provided for new or unusual assignments. The activities of employees in this class require knowledge of commonly-used concepts, practices and procedures within the accounting field. Work is performed under the direct supervision of immediate supervisor. Does related work as required.
- Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma and 2 years of full time clerical experience primarily involving data entry on a personal computer and the maintenance of financial accounts and records; or:
- Graduation from a New York State registered or regionally accredited 2 (two) year college or university with an Associate’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration.
Performs all activities listed below within Finance, Information Management & Technology, Assessment, Treasurer and Purchasing departments as needed.
- Reviews financial source documents for accuracy / completeness prior to data entry.
- Performs data entry from a wide variety of source documents including, but not limited to claims for payment, purchase orders, journal entries, invoicing, budget requests, payroll time sheets, deduction requests, and various data collection forms into enterprise software database(s).
- Visually compares edit sheets with source documents to identify and correct errors.
- Works on special projects including implementation of software by performing data collection and input of information from a wide variety of sources.
- Assists in training end users on appropriate data entry procedures for a variety of software modules.
- Provide support for a variety of end users doing data entry
- Generates financial reports/notices/billings pursuant to specifications
- Use of desktop software including, but not limited to word processing, spreadsheets, and databases.
- Receiving and distribution of City equipment and supplies
- Physically moves materials and supplies in and out of the storeroom
- Assists in maintaining inventory of City equipment and supplies
- Operates a variety of office machines including copier, scanner, printer, folding machine and postage machine.
- Answers telephone, makes appointments and provides routine information.
- Performs office tasks /data entry / filing
- Waits on customers and processes payments
Full Performance Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Personal Characteristics:
- Working knowledge of office terminology, procedure and equipment; good knowledge of commonly-used concepts , practices and procedures within the accounting field;
- working knowledge of the practices of data entry operation;
- ability to operate a data entry device at an acceptable rate of speed and accuracy;
- ability to operate a personal computer and utilize common desktop software including word processing, spreadsheet and database at an acceptable rate of accuracy and speed;
- ability to follow written and oral instructions
- ability to work independently;
- ability to get along well with others;
- tact and courtesy;
- physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position