This is important work which entails responsibility for seeing that all vehicles and equipment of the Fire Bureau is repaired and maintained in such a state as to meet its emergency response obligations. General supervision is received from the Assistant Chief in charge of Equipment/Apparatus, allowing the employee to exercise considerable independent judgment in planning methods and order of tasks.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Preforms the repair and maintenance of all vehicles and equipment of the Fire Bureau; does related work as required.
- Five years of experience in the repair of a variety of automotive equipment, including the rebuilding of gasoline and diesel engines; or
- Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State recognized two year college with an Associate’s Degree in automotive mechanics and three years’ experience described in (a): or
- An equivalent combination of training and experience within the limits defined in (a) and (b).
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS FOR ACCEPTANCE OF APPLICATIONS:
- Must obtain a D.O.T. Heavy Truck Mechanic Certification within first twelve (12) months of employment and maintain the certificate during the entire length of appointment
- Must obtain a New York State Inspector’s Certificate within first twelve (12) months of employment and maintain the certificate during the entire length of appointment
(Illustrative only) Preforms the repair and maintenance of all vehicles and equipment of the Fire Bureau, including fire trucks, passenger cars, pickup/vans, ambulances, boats and gasoline powered equipment, miscellaneous; Preforms the operation of machine shop equipment; Requisitions or purchases all repair parts, gasoline, oil, tires and general operating supplies; Maintains perpetual record on entire automotive fleet for insurance purposes, and maintains operating cost records for each unit of fleet; Draws up specifications for purchase of new vehicles and equipment; Estimates and prepares annual budget for motor repair plant; Keeps payroll time records; Makes annual inventory of parts, supplies and equipment.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITY: Thorough knowledge of the common practices, tools, terminology and accident precautions of the automotive mechanic’s trade; ability to work from, and interpret to others, plans and specifications; ability to draw up specifications for purchase of new equipment; ability to keep accurate records and make budget estimates; ability to get along well with others and secure their cooperation; dependability; good motor and hand and eye coordination; mechanical skill and manual dexterity; ability to operate a personal computer and utilize common office software programs including word processing, spreadsheet, and database at an acceptable rate of accuracy and speed; good physical condition.
ADDITIONAL DUTIES: Position requires the ability to work overtime, on an emergency basis. This will include: Responding to multiple alarm fires or other emergencies as directed, to:
- Observe the operation of equipment to prevent its breaking down.
- In the event of breakdown, to (if possible) immediately effect emergency repairs.
- Assist, if necessary, in exterior operations i.e. running a pump, hooking up hose, etc.
- Other similar duties as may be assigned by the Chief in charge of the operation.