Payroll Assistant prepares and processes payroll transactions and related documents, answering standard payroll related questions, and provide customer service to City employees by applying policies, rules and regulations issued by the City of Binghamton, Department of Civil Service and the City’s budget. Incumbents are engaged in tasks which requires compliance with detail procedures, the use of multiple software programs, and strict adherence to deadlines to ensure accurate payroll submissions to payroll supervisor. Accuracy is vital in reporting documents to NYS retirement system; as well as to the City’s Health Insurance Carrier. Performs related duties as required. This position reports to the Comptroller.
Graduation from a New York State registered or regionally accredited college or university with an Associate’s degree in Accounting or Business and 2 years of experience maintaining financial accounts and records and/or payroll records: OR
Graduation from high school or possession of an equivalency diploma and 4 years of experience maintaining financial accounts and records, and/or 4 years handling payroll records.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES:
- Assist in the processing of payroll for all City departments;
- Review payrolls for completeness, process in appropriate computer systems payroll documents, such as direct deposits, tax forms, health insurance, and retirement;
- Review personnel information/transactions submitted to the payroll office by other departments by ensuring that position and employee information is complete and data is consistently entered in all relevant computer systems. Data entry, update, or change information in payroll system as necessary and prescribed in City’s policies.
- Assist in the calculation and processing of salary increases and longevity payments;
- Assist in end of year payroll process including necessary adjustments to end of year W-2 wage file;
- Assist in the reconciliation of payroll each pay period to source documents;
- Enter and process retirement system reporting, ensuring proper employee crediting and payment;
- Builds working relationships with internal contacts and administrative staff as well as external contacts (government agencies, retirement system providers, financial institutions);
- Filing of payroll files;
- Enter data into City’s computerized database of health benefit information and enrollment for employees and audits bills from vendors;
- Create and send out retiree health insurance bills;
- Assist in preparing billing and reconciles health insurance payments;
- Assist in preparing annual salaries for annual budget process;
- Assist in preparing annual benefit packets for employees.
- Processes payroll through Enterprise System in Supervisor absence along with at least one a month to stay current with processing
- Assist in processing salary changes, deduction changes, and new hires
- Complete income verifications for NYS and banks
- Complete and file health insurance forms and entry into Carrier’s data base
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
Knowledge of payroll and benefit processing techniques; Knowledge of the principles and procedures used in accounting and bookkeeping; Good knowledge of computer software applications; Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; Ability to formulate logical decisions; Ability to meet stringent deadlines; Skill in mathematical computations; Interpersonal skill in relation to internal and external contacts; Self-motivated, and dependable