City of Binghamton, New York

City Clerk

Peddler License

A peddler is generally defined as a person who may either move from place to place with the intent to sell general merchandise, or who solicits orders and makes deliveries to purchasers. All peddlers must obtain a Peddler License from the City Clerk's Office. 

For more information about Peddler Licenses, please review Chapter 275 of the Code of the City of Binghamton.

Pawnbroker Permit

Pawnbrokers, also known as "Collateral Loan Brokers" may operate in the City of Binghamton provided that they obtain a license from the City Clerk's Office. 

For more information on Pawnbroker Permits, please review Chapter 275 of the Code of the City of Binghamton. 

Outdoor Fireworks & Indoor Pyrotechnics Permit

In order to conduct outdoor fireworks or indoor pyrotechnic displays within the City of Binghamton, you must obtain a permit from the City Clerk. 

For more information on Outdoor Fireworks & Indoor Pyrotechnics Permits, please review Chapter 235 of the Code of the City of Binghamton. 

New York State Liquor License

The New York State Liquor Authority is responsible for all licenses issued for the sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages. Applicants are required to mail a certified letter to the Clerk of the municipality in which the business will take place stating the nature of the business.

For more information, please visit the New York State Liquor Authority website.

Disability Parking Permit

According to New York State regulations, New York State residents with one or more severe disabilities which impair mobility may be eligible for a disability parking permit or license plate. Disability license plates may be obtained by contacting the Broome County Department of Motor Vehicles. Disability parking permits may be obtained from the municipality in which you reside. 

Noise Permit

The City of Binghamton has several regulations pertaining to noise, as outlined in our Code of Ordinances. A permit authorizing an exemption from some of these regulations may be issued to applicants who demonstrate that compliance with the noise regulations would constitute an unreasonable hardship on the applicant, the community or on other persons. 

For more information on Noise Permits, please review Chapter 292 of the Code of the City of Binghamton. 

Marriage Transcripts & Genealogy Records

Please note that the City Clerk’s Office maintains records of marriage licenses issued within the City of Binghamton. If a document is not found within our records, you may wish to contact the clerks in surrounding municipalities.

Marriage Transcripts

Requests for information pertaining to marriages which occurred within the past fifty (50) years may be made by either party to the marriage or by the designated powers of attorney.

Marriage transcripts can be obtained in person or by mail. To obtain a transcript, you must provide the following:

Marriage License

A couple who intends to be married in New York State must apply in person for a marriage license to any town or city clerk in the state. A marriage license allows the couple to be married anywhere in New York State. 

Note that it usually takes about thirty (30) minutes to process a marriage license application. As City Hall hours are 9:00am to 5:00pm, we cannot accept marriage license applications after 4:30pm. Please plan accordingly as ALL MARRIAGE LICENSES ARE BY APPOINTMENT ONLY.

Charitable Solicitor License

A person or any charitable organization intending to solicit funds or pledges for funds within the City of Binghamton by means of a door-to-door drive, or direct person-to-person fundraising solicitation for the benefit of a charitable or religious organization must obtain a Charitable Solicitor Permit from the Office of the City Clerk. Applications must be submitted two (2) days before soliciting begins.


Subscribe to RSS - City Clerk